Nominations have been announced for Ballarat’s ‘Sportsperson of the Year’.
Seven local athletic stars will be vying for the senior award, many coming off big years here and abroad.
High jumper Yual Reath, javelin thrower Kathryn Mitchell, and walker Kelly Ruddick were all at the World Athletics Championships in Oregon in July last year.
While Cooper Sherman and Alanna Peart both competed at the 2022 World Athletics Under 20 Championships in Columbia.
The full list of nominations are:
2022 Sportsperson of the Year – Senior Category
• Rory Carroll – Para Table Tennis, Ballarat Table Tennis Association
• Kathryn Mitchell – Javelin, Eureka Athletic Club
• Alanna Peart – Race Walking, Ballarat YCW
• Yual Reath – High Jump, Wendouree Athletic Club
• Kelly Ruddick – Race Walking, Ballarat Harriers
• Cooper Sherman – Sprinting, Ballarat Harriers
• Katrina Werry – Rowing, Mercantile Rowing Club / Ballarat Clarendon College
2022 Wunhym Trophy – Junior Category (Listed in surname order)
• Nicholas Howard – Gymnastics, Eureka Gymnastics Club
• Josh Jolly – BMX, Ballarat Cycling Club BMX
• Ed Meddings – Swimming, Ballarat Gold Swimming Club
• Lachlan O’Keefe – High Jump, Wendouree Athletic Club
• Lucy Richardson – Rowing, Ballarat City Rowing Club
• Fraser Saunder – Race Walking, Ballarat YCW
• Daisy Sudholz – Middle Distance Running, Eureka Athletic Club
Taekwondo Sydney 2000 Olympic Gold Medallist Dr. Lauren Burns will host the awards on the 8th of January at the Ballarat Golf Club Function Room.
The recipients of the Rex Hollioake Medallion (Awarded to an individual athlete who has displayed excellence in a team event or discipline), Widmer Award (Contribution to sport through the coaching and mentoring of athletes) and the Mackenzie/Valpied Award (Awarded to a Sport Administrator), will also be announced at the awards dinner.