3BA Header News

National News

Christmas lights blamed for Tas home fire

Faulty Christmas lights were to blame for a house fire in Tasmania which sent three residents running for their lives.

The front half of the home at Montello in the state's northwest went up in flames in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Two women and a man were found sheltering in the backyard of the badly destroyed property, which suffered $300,000 damage.

"The occupants of this property were lucky to escape," Tasmania Fire Service regional fire investigator Anthony Goss said.

"We believe the fire was caused by a failure of the small connection box on a Christmas lights set which has caused it to heat up and catch fire."

Mr Goss said the trio were altered to the fire by smoke alarms.

He's urged all home owners to check Christmas lights for damage.

© AAP 2017

You may also like...

A thousand Santas run through German town

A thousand Santas run through German town

Runners, dressed in Santa Clause costumes, take part in the traditional 9th St. Nicholas Run in Michendorf, Germany, 10 December 2017. More than 1...

Giant Hay Decorations in Newstead

Giant Hay Decorations in Newstead

Work has just finished on Newsteads favourite Christmas decorations including a giant dog and a towering christmas tree made out of hay and...

Greendale home damaged by fire

Greendale home damaged by fire

A Greendale home has been gutted by fire early this morning (December 11).   Fire crews were called to the blaze at the intersection of...

Buying Someone A Cookbook For Christmas?

Buying Someone A Cookbook For Christmas?

Cookbook sales increase dramatically at Christmas time (An estimated 10 million cookbooks will be given as Christmas presents in Australia this year...