STAR Collingwood recruit Dayne Beams will undergo hip surgery and be sidelined for up to three months in a major blow for the AFL premiership contenders.
The Magpies say Beams has been carrying an injury for a number of weeks that has been affecting his form and ability to run out games.
His only hope of returning this season is in the finals, should the Pies qualify.
Beams’ return to Collingwood after four seasons at Brisbane had been expected to elevate their talented midfield after last year’s grand-final defeat.
But the 2010 premiership player has been below his best, with his lack of pace a concern in a midfield already lacking line-breakers.
Collingwood football boss Geoff Walsh said the decision for 29-year-old Beams to undergo arthroscopic surgery was made following extensive discussions with medical staff.
“Dayne has been battling with the injury for some time and it has reached the stage where it is affecting his ability to train, to run out games and his form generally,” Walsh said on Tuesday.
“Dayne saw a surgeon a couple of weeks ago. It was agreed then to push on but it has since become clear that the situation isn’t helping Dayne perform as he and we would like.
“The hope is that with a general clean-up and a smooth rehabilitation he will have the time to return late in the season.”
Sitting third on the ladder after 11 rounds, the Pies will look to bounce back from a last-gasp loss to Fremantle when they face Melbourne in the annual Queen’s Birthday clash at the MCG.
© AAP 2019